Friday, December 3, 2010

World Cup 2018- Russia... 2022 Qatar

Today FIFA awarded the 2018 and 2022 World Cups to Russia and Qatar. At first I was gonna write a post complaining about the percieved corruption of the bidding progress. But I'll let Nick Webster handle that.

Ok, I'll get into a bit. How is it possible for the bid considered to be the favorite get bounced out in the first round?? Its amazing what a few crates of crisp $100 bills will get you. Just sayin...

But a more upbeat note, the stadiums Qatar is proposing are sick. Ok, maybe not the "Ribbon of Friendship" one. I know somewhere some intern was given the task keeping the stadium from looking like the gay pride arena.

He failed.

I'm secretly a bit happy the US didn't win because most of our stadiums are already built. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to watch Brazil play at Fedex Field or England at Soldier Field, but these places are kind of boring compared what could be built where there's a fresh canvas. See for yourself.


Al-Khor Stadium is easily my favorite. Sorry, I'm a sucker for tensile structures :) I'm so excited about these stadiums. This is the reason I became an architect!! Ok ok, I'll stop drooling now.

A few highlights from the award presentation are below. Not picture is Nelson Mandela, err.. I mean Morgan Freeman losing his place during his speech. Sadly my boss was talking during the stream of the presentation, so I couldn't watch it. Sigh... some people forget whats really important:

Elle "The Body" Macpherson and Australia's lacked body. Ok, that was lame. I just wanted to post a picture of Elle Macpherson.

Johan Cruyff and Netherland/Belgium's green bid failed to impress. He rode his womans bike home in shame.

Poor Becks :(

The prince told Andrei Arshavin to "piss off!" after Russia won the 2018 cup. I actually don't think I'm that far off. That face is epic. You'd think he's be able to hide his emotions a bit better.


Hopefully I will have accrued enough vacation time to go one of these :)
See you in 2018 and 2022!

No comments:

Post a Comment